This season is brought to you by: FreshBooks Cloud Accounting. Click here to try it free for 30 days (and don’t forget to mention Budgets and Cents in the “how did you hear about us?” section).
Welcome to the second season of Budgets and Cents, a podcast co-hosted by Cait Flanders (formerly Blonde on a Budget) and Carrie Smith (Careful Cents). If this is your first time listening, welcome! You can use our episode guide to catch up on what you’ve missed.
In episode 4, we talked about creating systems that help you do your work. In today’s episode, we explore the topic of getting paid – from setting your rates, to asking for deposits and deciding on your payment methods and terms, and even following up when a client doesn’t pay you on time.
We also talk about how to raise your rates (and communicate that with clients), as well as how to deal with international clients and get paid in different currencies.Whether you’re just getting started with your freelance work or side hustle, or are getting ready to make some pricing changes in your business, there’s something in this ep for everyone.
Resources and links:
- Resource: Freelancer’s Union infographic
- Resource: Small Biz Trends stat about accepting credit cards
- Join: Carrie’s Freelancer’s Club community on Facebook
- Resource: W-8BEN Form (If you’re a Canadian working for a US company)
- Read: FreshBooks ebook: Breaking the Time Barrier
- Read: The Pumpkin Plan by Mike Michalowicz
- Cait’s blog: Cait Flanders
- Carrie’s blog: Careful Cents
- Carrie: How to Price Client Work and Charge What You’re Worth
- Carrie: How to Deal With a Freelance Client Who Doesn’t Pay